Friday, October 2, 2009

Don't Take This the Wrong Way

The playground is a great place to see humankind shrunken down into a microcosm and on display for all the junior sociologists to observe. There is a class system, rules and regulations for negotiating certain play equipment, alliances forged and forgotten.  Oh the humanity. I love to watch my own childen make their way through this group, and usually I am rewarded with laughs when one of them makes a disaster out of an interaction with another kid.
Last year while sitting peacefully on a park bench with some aquaintences, one of them turned to me and said, "I hope you don't mind me saying this, and please don't take it the wrong way but do you know who your son really reminds me of?" "Who?" I asked hoping it would be some adorable moppet from a popular TV show. "That little boy from The Omen." "Wait, you mean DAMIEN?" I was sure this couldn't be the case. "Yeah! That's the one!" I was completely stunned for several very obvious reasons. Number one is that I find that child positively revolting and not just because he has the mark of the beast. That kid was obviously cast specifically for the level of creepiness he projected and the ability to make grown ups cower with one withering look from his dead eyes. Secondly, my kid has had some bad behavior days but I don't live in fear of being knocked off my chair by his expert demonic tricycle riding skills while watering the plants that hang dangerously over my open third story balcony. (Seriously, who hangs plants that high when a drop from that height onto the marble foyer floor  below will obviously kill you?)
A day or two after that I was busy karate chopping imaginary ninjas and pushing race cars with him and I stopped to try and take an objective look at him. I mean, I could be kidding myself, but aside from the dark hair (it does occasionally get long and look like a 70's bowl cut) and the light skin, I don't think we have a match here.

No comments:

Post a Comment