Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Good Read

Yesterday I took a trip to Barnes and Noble to see what I could find. I had been meaning for months to pick up Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers and was rewarded instantly when I saw it proudly on display first thing. It seemed like a waste of perfectly good free time to head directly to the cashier so I started to browse the aisles. First I found Rob Sacchetto's The Zombie Handbook and nestled it in the crook of my elbow and then I saw Stewart Copeland's Strange Things Happen.
A little history on my relationship with Stewart. When all the girls had their hearts aflutter for frontman Sting, I kept it real by loving the tall rangy drummer. I kept copious amounts of useless information about his drums, his childhood and his food likes and dislikes committed to memory and I seriously went home and threw a chair at the wall when the news of his marriage to Sonja Kristina broke. So what if I was twelve, we had a destiny dammit! Sadly, my imagined coupling with Stewart never materialized and we both marched off in separate directions, but this book of his had me howling with gut busting laughter. Who knew this affable kook was so smart and funny?
I'm currently on page 239 reading a chapter that covers the Police reunion tour, but my new favorite quote of all time came only 20 pages into the book in chapter 4.  In it he says " There is no greater glow of narcissistic validation than receiving my own art. I slay myself - always have and hope I always will."
Now that is some spectacular stuff. Call me Stewart, we need to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment